Monday, March 3, 2008

My Autobiography...

I am Allan Yasser Z. Abdula. A Filipino. I come from the beautiful archipelago of the Philippines. My friends call me Allan and I prefer it this way. My parents say that they gave me this name because Yasser is a prophet's name in the Holy Qu'ran while Allan is a Catholic name. This is mainly the things that makes my life interesting. When people hear of my name, they pause and ask if I am a Muslim. I just smile back and say that my father is. My mother is Catholic and I have decided to be one myself. Although my father keeps telling me that I need to convert and believe in His religion. I respect my father so I just let him be. I however would not falter in my belief and I would die as a Catholic.

I have two siblings, one younger brother and younger sister. As the eldest, I have been given bigger responsibilities to my brother and sister but I think I failed on this. I don't get along with my brother. I am very lax with my sister that sometimes I think I am so apathetic. I'm just not the ideal older brother. It's just my personality to let people do what they want to do. I think people should be free and the very reason why we have this so called faculty of thinking is for us to use. When my sister always complain that it's so hard to walk, I tell her that she should consider herself lucky to have feet. And if she doesn't use them, better cut them. Brutal as it may sound, but I would rather call it logic.

I have always felt that it I should excel at everything. Maybe this concept gave me the idea that things should be perfect. If they are not perfect, then I get disappointed. I have so much ideals in life that at times are impossible to achieve. The perfectionist in me also give me a very difficult time because I have to contend with my pursuit of setting everything in their right places. The clothes go here, the shoes go there.I however dislike a predictable life. I am always on the prowl for new experiences be it food, travel, study, people, and just about anything. In my opinion life is better when you don't know what to expect. As Forrest Gump puts it, "life is like a box of chocolate. You never know what you'll get." Isn't life interesting when you keep on finding out something new.

It makes me think of my Economics class. I already forgot about the names and lives of famous Economists and their contributions, but here is what I learned, "the law of marginal demand states that the desire for a product decreases as time increases." If you eat chicken in a day, it would taste delicious. But after a week, you'll get fed off from it. So life is just like that. If people keep on doing what they do everyday, then chances are they will become bored. And I am not one of those people. Life is so short to waste it on small things.

Aside from these long litany, I must say that I dream big. So big I don't know how to achieve it. When people ask me what my dream is, I say "world peace" and I really mean it. The most important thing people need now is peace and unity then everything else will follow. But when the same people ask me how, I have a very vague answer to this.

As I have said, I am a very adventurous person and I like surprise. I will just cross the bridge when I get there. When it comes to hobbies and interests, I have the usual ones- movies, music, sports, etc. But what makes me different from other people is that I have a romance with the oldies. I like old songs and movies. Sometimes people brand me as an old soul because of this odd preference. But I really enjoy old stuff.

There are times late at night when I'm alone, I just sit by our family couch, drink coffee and listen to some old songs. Sometimes I look at old photographs while I do this, and I can't help but smile and say to myself how wonderful those past years were. It seemed like only yesterday. How time flies really fast.

I am the type of person who is very private about personal life and I choose my friends well. It's not easy for me to attach that's why it's difficult to get involved with people be it platonic or romantic. But once I learn to trust the person and consider him a friend, I open up and treasure these people. For this reason, I have very few close friends. I don't like fleeting relationships because I think people should love each other honestly and not just superficially. I think I have eaten so much of your time already so I have to stop now. I just hope that you have known me better through this.



Google+ Badge

Google+ Followers

Readers Also Viewed the Following