Wednesday, April 2, 2008

RESEARCH MANAGER

When looking for a job, most people’s consideration is money. How much and how much more they can get from it. 

But I have a different say on this matter. I believe that money indeed is important but more than the money is the satisfaction an employee can get from what he is doing. 

First and foremost comes the ability of a job seeker to love his potential job. Otherwise, the job would become such a torture and may force him to look for another job in the long run. 

And so, this research paper aims to identify the match of my present major to my desired job. 

At the end of this paper, we will discover the beauty of the target job and its significance to my major. 

 To begin with, I have chosen RESEARCH MANAGER as a possible career. There are a number of reasons for this choice but mainly, it is because my major is basically about designing and analyzing research projects. 

Another reason for this is because I know from the start that I want to be out in the field and do my job with enough freedom. 

I have always hated the thought of sitting in a workstation, slaving myself without something new to expect. 

I easily get bored so traveling and meeting people will surely be a great way to keep me stick to my job. And research manager career can provide me with that. 

Communication Research 

My major, Communication Research is one of the four undergraduate programs offered by the best university in the Philippines, the University of the Philippines Diliman. 

By definition, Communication Research focuses on how people use messages to generate meanings within and across various contexts, cultures, channels, and media. 

The major communication areas studied in this field are communication studies, mass communication and media studies, speech and rhetorical studies and telecommunication studies (National Communication Association, 2002). 

To give you an overview of what we do in this major, let me enumerate some approaches which are vital in the study of communication: analysis of dynamic processes, content and textual analysis, critical and cultural analysis, discourse analysis, ethnographic research, experimental research (including controlled experiments), historiography, rhetorical criticism and survey research (National Communication Association, 2002).

These approaches are also called methodologies which include qualitative and quantitative perspectives. 

The Research Manager 

As a Communication Research practitioner in the near future, we are challenged to become dependable leaders in the field of research. 

In the industry’s common parlance, we call it research manager. 

The job of a research manager is both simple and complicated. Simple because he is the one to oversee the implementation of a research project but complicated because all the tasks are placed on his shoulder. 

But since I eat challenges for breakfast, so to speak, it wouldn’t be much of a trouble for me. 

The role of a research manager includes the following: undertakes market analysis through third party agencies to obtain and evaluate data on markets, consumers, advertising effectiveness, media efficiency, etc; selects, briefs, and commissions third party agencies to conduct quantitative and qualitative research, manages all project activities; coordinates research projects to include selection and training of interviewers and design questionnaires; internally advocates the innovative use of research, ensuring all key departments understand the benefits; liaisons with the product and/or marketing manager to ensure research findings are used effectively when developing marketing plans; liaisons with product development to ensure market trends are noted, understood and taken into account; and collects, analyzes and interprets information, presents results in written reports or presentation formats (“Research manager.” n.d.). 

The Company 

At the time of my researching, I found the perfect job I was looking for. The name of this company is TNS PHILIPPINES INC. 

To me, it is interesting to read a part of the company profile which goes, “…you belong to a group of dynamic and bold individuals who can rise to the challenge of working in this demanding and rewarding industry. Able to look behind the numbers, beyond the trends and between the lines, you will form part of an international team providing the highest quality business solutions (“Communication Research,” n.d.).” 

Now let me discuss a few points why this company attracted my attention. 

First is that it is demanding and rewarding. Certainly, I can smell challenge in this and a compensation for my efforts. 

Behind the numbers, behind the trends would enable me to use my creativity and critical thinking which is essential to my personal and intellectual growth. 

International team spells out global opportunity and meet other people. 

Finally highest quality whish is always my pursuit, to give it my best shot. I took the liberty of checking out the requirements of this job from its website and I have provided them below: 

  • At least 4 years experience in quantitative market research project management Healthcare experience is an advantage 
  • Proficient in the use of various statistical and analytical techniques
  • Demonstrates leadership, and intellectual and professional integrity; encourages teamwork across functions. Has good networking skills and service orientation
  • Innovative, adaptable and flexible
  • Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time
  • Adept in the use of computer software applications, particularly MS Office (“Communication research,” n.d.) 


Although we can see from the requirements the four year experience, I think it won’t be long before I can achieve that. After all, what is four years? Time flies so fast I wouldn’t even recognize it. 

The most important thing for now is that I know that this opportunity exists and there will be more in the future.

Realization: Not fit in the media industry 

While writing this paper, I assessed myself and realized that I am not cut for media. I prefer to have a job that is intellectually challenging. 

I don’t want to be in a company where the only things that matters are what famous people do with their lives. 

I do not intend to work in the entertainment field although I want to be an actor, but a serious actor. 

Not the kind who would waste time hanging out with fancy people. I prefer to have a quiet life. 

When I imagined how messy my life could get if I try to entangle with show business of which news I would include, I can’t help but shiver at the thought. 

But even if I want to have a usual job, I still want to be out in action. I want to travel and meet people. I don’t like being stuck in a cubicle doodling my day in front of my papers or staring at my computer’s monitor like it’s the most important thing in my life. 

I want personal growth and sense of achievement with what I do. I do not want to be dictated all the time by superiors wanting to get results the way they like it. 

At least, as a research manager, I can give my own touch and still produce the much needed results. This might be confusing but all I really want to be is an established career man. 

Of course, salary is very important but it only comes second to my desire to achieve a worthwhile job. 

Just like any other jobs, research demands the same discipline and determination. It may not always be a bed of roses, but we choose to make our jobs fun or burden. 

There will always be times when the burden becomes bigger than ourselves but we must remember that we should remain in control of the situation. 

There is this Korean movie of which I remember a particular quote that says if you become afraid of your weapon then it will look down on you. But if you look down on your weapon, then it will become your greatest ally. 

In the same way, careers can become enemies who would terrorize you. On the other hand, if we become stronger than our careers than there is no reason to be afraid. Though the task of a our own careers may be too daunting, we should always remember that we are always in control. 

BIBLIOGRAPHY

______________. (n.d.). Communication Research. In Jobstreet.com Philippines Retrieved April 3, 2008 from http://search3.jobstreet.com/searchGo.asp?pid=2506&ptitle=Research+Officer&spe=139&by=search&sourceid=ads&site=ph&src=a

______________. (n.d.) Research manager. In think-direct.com. Retrieved April 3, 2008 from http://www.think-direct.com/index.cfm?fuseAction=contentDisplay.&chn=23&tpc=105&stp=211&pge=1228 National Communication Association. (2002). Communication Research: Profile of a Discipline. In Communication Research. Retrieved April 1, 2008 from http://www.natcom.org/nca/Template2.asp?bid=1345.



Google+ Badge

Google+ Followers

Readers Also Viewed the Following