For my foreign friends and fellow Filipinos as well, here is a run down of the things that define what Filipinos are from an insider's perspective:
You are a Filipino if...
1) You nod your head upwards to greet someone.
2) Your other piece of luggage is a balikbayan box.
3) You use an umbrella for a shade on hot summer days.
4) You collect items from hotels or restaurants as souvenirs.
5) For you, a yellow light means 'go faster.'
6) You turn around when you hear 'psssssssstttttttt'
7) You were raised believing every Filipino was an aunt and uncle.
8) You use your fingers to measure the water when cooking rice.
9) You know it's fun to eat with your hand and even have it down as a technique.
10) You wash and re-use plastic utensils and styrofoam cups.
11) You own either a Karaoke, a Magic Singing Mic or both.
12) You have a giant wooden spoon and fork hanging in your dining room.
13) You have a Sto. Nino shrine in your living room.
14) You point with your lips.
15) You say 'kodakan' instead of take a picture.
16) When they play 'anak' anywhere your chest swells with pride and say that's Filipino.
17) You use print rags from imported fashion magazines as cover of your textbooks and notebooks.
18) You have a tabo in your bathroom.
19) You have a rosary on your car rear view mirror.
20) Your parents call each other 'mommy' and 'daddy'
21) You think 'tuck out' is the opposite opposite of 'tuck in'
22) You're standing next to eight big boxes at the airport.
23) You have a portrait of the last supper hanging on your dining room wall.
24) You add an unwarranted "H" to your name: jHun, bHoy, rHon, saHmmeeH
25) The food container in your 'ref' contains three bites of rice or one leftover chicken wing.
26) Your living room wall is filled with framed diplomas and plaques of family members.
27) You have an auntie girlie, a lola baby or an uncle boy.
28) A meal is not a meal without rice.
29) Your car chirps like a bird or plays a tune in reverse.
30) You make the sign of the cross every time you pass by a church.
31) The Christmas season begins in September and ends in January.
32) You know someone with a name that repeats itself, i.e. jon-jon, len-len, jong-jong or bing-bing
33) You pronounce the ff words as 'hippopo-TA-mus', 'com-FOR-table', 'bro-CO-li'
34) Church is a must on Sundays
35) You 'open' and 'close' the lights instead of turning it on or off.
36) You cover your living room furniture with bed sheets.
37) When you don't know what to say next, you say "you know..."
38) You say 'cutex' instead of nail polish.
39) You keep used batteries.
40) Your microwave, TV, computer, printer, toasters are hidden under quilted covers.
41) 'Ano' and 'di ba' regularly slip out during conversations.
42) You dip bread in your morning coffee.
43) Your mom puts sugar and hotdogs in her spaghetti.
44) You do not try to avoid pedestrians.
45) You can't make a purchase without haggling.
46) You have a fly swatter in your kitchen.
47) You can squeeze 15 passengers into your 5-seater vehicle.
48) You're on "FILIPINO TIME"
49) A meal is best with patis, toyo, vinegar, banana catsup or bagoong.
50) You know that 'OA' = Overacting, 'DOM' = Dirty Old Man, and 'TNT' = for the other kind of OFW.
51) You say 'FOR A WHILE' instead of 'PLEASE HOLD' on the telephone.
52) Your lampshades still have plastic covers on them.
53) You were punished by kneeling on rice.
From my old notebook...
Readers Also Viewed the Following
Since I'm missing the Philippines, here's a nice video from Pietro Boselli on his recent visit to El Nido and Coron. Actually b...
Yama Chu Spa Location: 1766 A Mabini Street, Manila Philippines Phone: (02) 354 5094 How To Reach Take the LRT and get...
Seven Senses Spa Antipolo/Marikina Area PRICE…………….. 8/10 MASSAGE………. 5/10 FACILITIES….... 8/10 ...
Hope Med Spa Address: General Romulo Ave, Cubao, Quezon City, Metro Manila Contact: (02) 421 4932 How To Reach F...
For an upcoming trip to Burias Islands and Alibijiban Beach this June 17th, I am reposting a sample itinerary courtesy of Laboy Babo...
New York Spa Price.................... 8/10 Massage............... 9/10 Facilities............... 6/10 Service.............
Amistad Spa is located along Quezon Avenue in Quezon City. The location itself is not so easy to spot if you have some trouble figuring...
Oh dear, here is the second vid from Pietro's trip to the Philippines. With waters so clear and clean, it's a must-go destinatio...
Address: Eulogio Rodriguez Sr. Ave. Quezon City, Metro Manila. Contact: 6547007/ 6223497 / 2165034 / 09178173784 / 09232449615 Faceb...
Isang pagkukuro sa "Sagot Nang Espanya sa Hibik Ng Filipinas (Pilipinas)" ni Marcelo Hilario del Pilar Ang tulang “Sagot N...