Monday, October 26, 2015

JOURNAL | Memoirs in South Korea: Journey of An Exchange Student



Memoirs in South Korea: 
Journey of An Exchange Student


I can still remember the first time I arrived in Korea. My ears were still aching when I entered Incheon International Airport. It was my first time to ride an airplane for four hours so I really found the journey a bit disorienting. And so I was there in the terminal together with Isabel, the other Filipino exchange student. The weather outside was cloudy and dark for it was still dawn. The first thing that came to my mind upon arrival at the airport was to call our contact person, Hu Eun Ji. My professor in the Philippines gave me some Korean money and that’s what I used to call her. It was around 5:45 when I finally talked to her and asked when she will come. She told us to wait for two hours at gate E and so that’s what we did. 

Related article: Memories in Korea

Fascinated with all the new things that are around us, time flew so fast that our contact person finally came. She was holding a Hallym University flag and that’s how we knew it was her. I was so happy that finally there’s someone to help us. She bought us our bus tickets and off we went to Hallym. Along the way to the university, tired from the flight I just had been, I kept thinking what could possibly be waiting for me in a land where I have never set foot before. I don’t know much about Korea’s culture and the only knowledge that I have is that of the things my Korean tutees have taught me. In so far as the Korean language is concerned, I am positive that I don’t know any word that would enable me to converse with any native speaker. Busy with these thoughts, I found myself sleeping and occasionally spring to consciousness until we reach Chuncheon bus terminal.

This is pretty much how everything started, the rest as they say is history. But there are so much memory that I have kept withinn the nine months that I stayed in Hallym University. So many friends, places, memories that I will never forget about my stay in the university. I especially won’t forget all the people I met in the dormitory where I stayed. Hallym International Dormitory, home to a diverse culture, had been my abode for most of my stay in Korea. It is there that I met all the wonderful people that made a significant change in my life. It is there that I made Chinese, Mongolian, Russian, Japanese and of course Korean friends. It is there that I have attached my life and perhaps when I come back to Korea again, I will make sure to drop by to say hello to everybody there. 

Related article: First Time in Korea 2

I have also visited some places in Korea. I have been to Seoul, cities around Seoul like Incheon, Bucheon, Ansan, Anyang, the far Andong, and Donghe. Of all these places I think Andong stands out. Every place that I have been really impressed me but Donghe impressed me more because of the beach there. The Philippines, my country, where I came from is reach with beautiful places but since I don’t have the luxury of time, I didn’t have time to go there and have fun. But in Andong, embellished with its fine beaches and white sand, big waves and clear waters, I never felt so lucky in my life. I felt closer to nature. I went to Donghe in September and although it was freezing cold, I still swam. I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to feel the beauty that I have seen. 

Moreover, I have experienced some really new things in Korea. It was my first time to go in a Jimjilbang and Norebang. In the Philippines, public bath houses are not common and to me it was really fascinating that people would go to these places to clean their body, relax, and sleep. Although, whenever I go to Jilmjilbang I cannot sleep because I usually play or talk with my Korean friends until morning so no such thing as rest for me. But I learned that maintaining a good body and hygiene should not be taken for granted so until now I am still practicing this. Another cultural experience that I cannot forget is the Norebang or singing rooms. Koreans really like singing which is also a favorite of the Filipinos so I really enjoy singing with my friends. My Korean friends always tell me that I sing very well but I think Koreans sing well too especially when they sing Korean songs. I didn’t really learn many Korean songs apart from “Tell Me” by Wondergirls and “Go Jin Mal” by Bigbang. 

Korean food on the other hand proved to be a challenge at first, but as time went by, I started loving the food. Korean food is very healthy and I have a number of favorites like Gamjatang, Hejangguk, Gopjang, Samgyopsal and Dakkalbi. Most of them are spicy but I think it makes the food even more delicious. However, I missed some Filipino foods at times especially fish because there isn’t much fish dishes in restaurants. Usually it’s meat. And also, the eating culture is rather different compared to the Filipinos’. Koreans share their food in one container and because of that, people become closer. They are more intimate that’s why there’s a strong relationship between Koreans.

Lastly, the drinking culture. I would say that Koreans really have a taste for drinking. I have never drunk as much as I did in my entire life. There are times that I would drink everyday. If this was done in the Philippines then I would surely be tagged as alcoholic, but in Korea it is one form of socialization that forges friendship. As one of my professors say, it is when you are under the influence of soju that makes you open to others. And true, I have been open and closer to others because of drinking. Before, I look down on people who get drunk, but now I understand more that drinking is not just a matter of intoxicating oneself but building relationships. After all, having more friends is more important. 

Now that I am back in my country, I feel more mature and ready to face the big world. I am not afraid anymore to face my future, to look at my goals straight in the eyes and say, yes I can achieve you. Of course, all these maturation had been the fruit of my stay in Hallym. It is there where I not only learned academic education but also life lessons. It is just sad to leave all the people who made significant memories in my life. The day I left Hallym International Dormitory, I didn’t cry. It is not because I don’t feel anything but because I know that one day I will meet again all the people I have loved so dearly. I know that my leaving doesn’t have to mean the end. I know that there will come a time that I would see all these people at the right place, at the right time. 

***

한국 회고록 :
교환 학생의 여행


나는 아직도 내가 한국에 도착 처음을 기억 할 수 있습니다. 나는 인천 국제 공항에 들어갈 때 내 귀는 여전히 아프고 있었다. 그것은 내가 정말 혼란스러운 여행을 조금 발견 4 시간 동안 비행기를 타고 내 처음이다. 그래서 나는 함께 이사벨, 다른 필리핀 교환 학생으로 단말기에 있었다. 아직 새벽이었다에 대한 날씨 외부는 흐림 및 어두운했다. 공항에 도착했을 때 내 마음에 와서 제일 먼저 우리의 담당자, 후 은지원 전화를했다. 필리핀 내 교수는 나에게 한국의 일부 돈을주고 그것이 내가 그녀를 호출하는 데 사용거야. 내가 마지막으로 그녀에게 이야기 할 때 5시 45분 주위이었고, 그녀가 올 때 물었다. 그녀는 게이트 E에서 2 시간을 기다리는 우리에게 말했다 그래서 그것은 우리가 무슨 짓을했는지.

관련 기사 : 한국의 추억

우리 주위에있는 모든 새로운 것들에 매료, 시간은 우리의 담당자가 마침내 왔다는 것을 너무 빨리 날아 갔다. 그녀는 한림 대학교 국기를 들고 있었다 그것은 우리가 그녀를 알고 있었다 방법입니다. 나는 마지막으로 우리를 도와 줄 사람이 거기에 너무 행복했다. 그녀는 우리에게 버스 표를 구입 떨어져 우리는 한림 갔다. 대학에 길을 따라, 난 그냥 있던 비행 피곤, 나는 아마도 내가 전에 발을 설정하지 않은 땅에서 나를 기다리고 될 수있는 것을 생각하고 있었다. 나는 한국의 문화와 나는이 한국 내 tutees가 저를 가르친 것들을 그 유일한 지식에 대해 많이 알지 못한다. 지금까지 한국어에 관한 한, 나는 내가 어떤 원어민과 대화하는 날을 사용하는 어떤 단어를 모르는 긍정적입니다. 이런 생각 바쁜, 나는 나 자신이 자고 우리는 춘천 버스 터미널에 도달 할 때까지 때때로 의식 봄 발견했다.

이것은 거의 모든 시작 방법, 그들이 말하는대로 나머지는 역사입니다. 하지만 내가 한림 대학교에 머물렀다 9 개월간 withinn 유지 한 너무 많은 메모리가 있습니다. 그래서 많은 친구, 장소, 내가 대학 내 숙박에 대한 잊지 못할 추억. 나는 특히 내가 머물렀던 기숙사에서 만난 모든 사람들을 잊지 않을 것입니다. 한림 국제 기숙사, 다양한 문화의 고향은 한국에 체류의 대부분을위한 나의 거처였다. 그것은 내 인생에 큰 변화를 만들어 모든 훌륭한 사람들을 만난있다. 내가 중국어, 몽골어, 러시아어, 일본어, 물론 한국어 친구 만든 것이있다. 내가 내 인생이 첨부되어 있고 내가 다시 한국에 와서 아마 때, 나는 거기에 모든 사람에게 인사 들러해야 할 것입니다.

관련 기사 : 한국 2에서 처음

또한 한국의 어떤 장소를 방문했다. 내가 서울에왔다, 인천, 부천, 안산, 안양, 지금까지 안동과 둥허 향 등 서울 주변 도시. 모든 장소 나는 안동이 눈에 띄는 생각합니다. 내가 정말 날 감동되었지만 둥허 향이 때문에 해변의 더 나를 감동 모든 장소. 필리핀은, 내가 온 내 나라, 아름다운 장소에 도달하지만 시간의 여유가 없기 때문에, 내가 거기 가서 재미를 할 시간이 없었다입니다. 그러나 안동에서, 그 좋은 해변과 하얀 모래, 큰 파도와 맑은 바닷물로 장식 된, 나는 내 인생에서 정말 운이 생각하지 마십시오. 나는 자연에 가까운 느낌. 나는 9 월에 둥허 향에 가서는 추위되었지만, 아직도 수영. 나는 내가 본 아름다움을 느낄 수있는 기회를 놓치고 싶지 않았다.

또한, 나는 한국에서 정말 새로운 일을 경험했다. 그것은 Jimjilbang과 노래방에 가서 내 처음이다. 필리핀, 목욕탕 집은 일반적인하지 않으며 나에게 사람들이 자신의 몸을 청소 휴식, 잠이 장소에 갈 것 정말 매력적이었다. 내가 Jilmjilbang에 갈 때마다 나는 보통 재생하거나 나를 위해 아침까지 한국 내 친구들과 나머지 그래서 그런 일을 이야기하지 않기 때문에 나는 잠을 잘 수 있지만. 하지만 지금까지 난 아직도이 연습을하고, 그래서 좋은 몸과 위생을 유지하는 것은 당연한되지 않는 것을 배웠습니다. 내가 잊을 수 없어 또 다른 문화 체험은 노래방이나 노래 객실입니다. 정말 또한 내가 정말 내 친구와 함께 노래를 부르고 즐길 필리핀의 좋아하는 노래 같은 한국인. 한국 내 친구는 항상 내가 잘 노래하지만 한국이 너무 특히 그들이 한국 노래를 부를 때 노래를 잘 생각 말해. 정말 원더걸스와 빅뱅에 의해 "이동 진 말"로 "저에게"떨어져 많은 한국 노래를 배울하지 않았다.

반면에 한국 음식은 처음 도전을 입증하지만, 시간이 갔다, 나는 음식을 사랑하기 시작했다. 한국 음식은 매우 건강하고 나는 감자탕, Hejangguk, Gopjang, Samgyopsal 및 Dakkalbi 같은 즐겨 찾기의 번호를 가지고있다. 그들 대부분은 매운하지만 나는 음식이 더 맛있는하게 생각합니다. 레스토랑에서 많은 생선 요리 없기 때문에 그러나, 나는 배, 특히 물고기에 일부 필리핀 음식을 놓쳤다. 보통 고기입니다. 또한, 먹는 문화는 필리핀 '에 비해 다소 다르다. 한국인들은 하나의 컨테이너에 음식을 공유하고 그 때문에, 사람들은 가까이된다. 그들은 한국인들 사이에 강한 관계가있다 그 이유는 더 친밀한입니다.

마지막으로, 음주 문화. 나는 한국이 정말 음주에 대한 맛을 가지고 말할 것입니다. 내 평생에했던 것처럼 나는만큼 취한 적이 없다. 내가 매일 마시는 것이 시간이있다. 이 필리핀에서 수행 된 경우, 나는 반드시 알코올로 태그 될 수 있지만, 한국에서 우정을 위조 사회화의 한 형태이다. 내 교수 중 하나가 말하는 것처럼 당신은 다른 사람에게 열려 있습니다 소주의 영향을 받고있을 때, 그것은이다. 그리고 사실, 나는 열린 때문에 음주의 다른 사람에게 가까이왔다. 전에, 나는 취 사람들을 아래로 보이지만, 지금은 더 많은 것을 마시는 자신을 취하게하지만 관계 구축의 문제 아니다 알고 있습니다. 결국, 많은 친구를 갖는 것이 중요하다.

지금은 다시 내 나라에서 오전, 좀 더 성숙하고 큰 세상을 직면 할 준비 느낀다. 나는 똑바로 눈을 나의 목표를보고 그래 난 당신을 달성 할 수있는, 말, 내 미래를 얼굴을 더 이상 두려워하지 않다. 물론,이 모든 성숙 한림 내 체류 과일이었다. 내가 대학 교육뿐만 아니라 삶의 교훈을 배우지 만 곳이있다. 그것은 내 인생에서 의미있는 추억을 만들어 모든 사람을 떠나 그냥 슬프다. 나는 한림 국제 기숙사를 떠나 날, 나는 울지 않았다. 내가 언젠가는 다시 내가 그렇게 사랑스러운 사랑한 모든 사람들을 만날 것을 알고 있기 때문에 아무 것도 생각하지 않기 때문에이 없습니다. 내 떠나는는 끝을 의미하지 않는다는 것을 알고있다. 나는 적절한시기에, 적절한 장소에서 모든 사람들을 볼 것입니다 시간이 올 것이라는 점을 알고있다.



Google+ Badge

Google+ Followers

Readers Also Viewed the Following